|Makes: 24 servings|
|200g dark chocolate|
100g unsalted butter, very soft
250g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs, beaten to mix
1tsp vanilla essence
60g plain flour
60g cocoa powder
15cm square brownie tin or baking tin
|1. Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Break up the dark chocolate. Put into a heatproof bowl and melt gently in a pan over simmering water, making sure the water doesn’t touch the base of the bowl. Remove the bowl from the heat and leave to cool until needed.|
2. Put the butter and sugar into the bowl of a food mixer and beat until fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla essence.
3. Spoon the cooled melted chocolate onto the mixture then mix in thoroughly. Sift the flour and cocoa powder onto the mixture and gently stir in.
4. When completely combined, spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly.
5. Bake in the heated oven for about 20 mins until the chocolate brownies are firm to the touch but still a bit fudgy. The chocolate will continue to cook slightly for a few mins after coming out of the oven.
6. Remove the tin from the oven and set on a wire cooling rack. Leave the chocolate brownies to cool completely before cutting into pieces. Store the brownies in an airtight container and eat within 4 days.