|Makes: 12 servings|
|Source: Carla Hall|
|1/2 cup dried cherries|
1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped, about the same size as the cherries)
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1 stick unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (roughly chopped)
powdered sugar (for garnish)
|1. 2 hours before baking: in a small bowl, add the dried cherries and apricots and pour over the orange-flavored liqueur. Let soak for at least 2 hours.|
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 inch x 13 inch baking dish with butter.
3. In a medium glass bowl, add the chocolate and butter. Gently melt together in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water. Once melted, set aside to cool slightly
4. In a large bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, and whisk to combine.
5. In a separate large bowl, add the eggs, sugars and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
6. Add the flour mixture into the egg mixture, and whisk to combine. Add the melted chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Drain the liquid from the dried fruit. Add the fruit and the walnuts and stir to combine. Transfer brownie batter to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out dry. Cool for 15 minutes before removing from baking dish. Slice into 12 pieces and enjoy!
7. Helpful Tips:
– If you’re in a rush, warm the liqueur before pouring over the fruit.
– Instead of using liqueur, you can replace with orange juice, unsweetened cherry juice, orange juice or hot water!
– For a little extra flavor, toast the nuts with a little butter and salt!